Happy Monday, Friends! I know you all agree, but I just have to mention how much I L-O-V-E 3 day weekends! :o) Not that I did anything out of the ordinary, it's just so nice to have one extra day!
For my first linky today, I will be linking up with Trina from The Ordinary To Extraordinary Classroom for her 2nd edition of Meet the Teacher Monday. This weeks theme is Three Things.
1. Three Words to Describe Me: LOUD, stubborn, and determined
2. Three Things on My Bucket List: Visit Disney (I am 28 and have NEVER been), attend Country Fest in Nashville, and write a children's book
3. My favorite music genre and 3 favorite songs: I will listen to just about anything and I love music that I can dance to, but I especially love COUNTRY music - favorite songs are tough, I have so many how am I supposed to narrow it down to 3? Right now 3 of my faves are: Compass (Lady Antebellum), We Were Us (Miranda Lambert and Keith Urban), and Austin (Blake Shelton - this is an oldie but goodie).
4. The first 3 things I would buy first if I won the lottery: New cars for Momma, Little Bro, and I
5. My favorite movie genre and 3 favorite movies: Musicals...is that a movie genre? I love them all. My #1 fave is CATS. I also love The Sound of Music. Dirty Dancing is another one of my favorites. (Can I stick in Newsies and RENT, too?!)
6. Three Character Flaws: I am terrible procrastinator, rather judgemental, and a bit too much of a perfectionist.
7. Three Friendship Personality Dealbreakers: The User, The Whiner/Complainer, The One-Upper
8. Three Things I Want More of: Hours in the day, Fish in the sea (I guess I just need to meet more of them), and Money (of course)
Fun, right? Head over to Trina's blog and link up...
Okay, linky round 2. This one is a link up with Where the Wild Things Learn for A Day Our Way. Here is my typical daily schedule:
Morning Work: We used the Envisions Math program, so for morning work each day my kiddos complete the Daily Common Core Review and if they have time left after that, the complete a daily journal write which is usually from the Lakeshore calendar. During this time I check notes, kiddos take the lunch count and check-in homework, and I take attendance.
Guided Reading/Literacy Centers/Reader's Workshop: Sadly I am usually unable to get started at 9:05 because we have kiddos that go to breakfast in the morning, so I don't usually get started until 9:15. I typically begin with a read aloud and lesson from 9:15-9:45. Then I meet with one reading group from 9:45 - 10:15/10:30. The kiddos who are not in the reading group are doing silent reading/skill work, word work, research (I have to try to fit Science and Social Studies into my Reading time).
Morning Recess: I have duty on Tuesday, my teamies and I are all assigned one day per week for morning recess. The other 4 days I barely make it to the bathroom and back in my 15 minutes! :o)
Math: As I stated, we use the Envision Math program. I try to follow the book (it's my 1st year in this district, I try to be a rule-follower), but sometimes we skip the book work and I teach the lesson my way. We typically start with a problem of the day and the kiddos discuss with their neighbors. We do the interactive learning lesson with the video (kiddos are not huge fans of the videos) and then I project the book pages on the whiteboard and the kiddos practice on their individual whiteboards. We end with the kiddos completing their workbook page and playing math games while I work with 1 or 2 small groups.
Afternoon Recess and Lunch: Kiddos have recess and lunch, teachers have lunch!
Specials: The kiddos have Phys. Ed. twice a week, Technology (Science) once, Art once, and Music once.
Writer's Workshop: Instruction varies but this is where I typically try to fit my spelling, grammar, vocabulary lessons and get the kiddos writing. We use mentor texts, writer's notebooks, and do lots of informational writing.
Intervention/Enrichment Block: The whole grade level gets separated into needs-based groups. There is an enrichment group, a couple of Lindamood Bell groups, and the 3 groups that my teamies and I have: one Reading group and two writing groups.
That's my day - although right now I am hoping for an early release tomorrow and a delay on Wednesday - depending which channel you watch they are predicting anywhere from 1-3 inches to 5-8 inches. One can *WISH* right?!