5/14/13

Getting Acquainted...

I have been a bad blogger and Instagrammer (is that a word?) lately. I started a Five for Friday post on Friday...and then my allergies attacked! Then on Saturday, while taking a break from work I was doing, I ran out to the Dollar Store, got back in my car, and had a dead battery. Sunday was Mother's Day and Monday the kiddos took Math MCAS. So between all of that and preparing for testing last week, life has been a little crazy! So instead of trying to catch up, I'm just going to move on to Latoya's Let's Get Acquainted linky party. If you don't already follow, check out Latoya's blog Flying into First Grade!


Linky Questions:
1. What made you decide to become a teacher?
2. What has been your most rewarding experience as a teacher?
3. If you were not a teacher, what would you be?

1. I always loved school! When my neighbors and I were little our favorite "game" to play was school. It didn't matter where we were, whose house we were at, inside or outside, this was always our go-to activity. I was one of those kids that begged the teacher for the extra worksheets, books orders, etc. Aside from a short period of time, in high school, when I considered being an occupational therapist, I have always wanted to be a teacher. My elementary school teachers were AMAZING! As a matter of fact, most of my teachers left quite an impression on me. Two that stand out the most are my 7th grade English teacher and 9th grade Geometry teacher. To this day, I tell my own students about both of these teachers!

2. I can't pinpoint one specific rewarding experience, but I think anytime that students show demonstrate that they have learned something from you is rewarding. Like those times when the kiddos begin using your grown-up language/vocabulary. For example, the kids were working on their personal narratives today, and we were talking about the quality of their work, the language they should be using, and the detailed sentences they needed to help their readers visualize when they were saying. I read one of my student's sentences, "Sometimes my brother helps me when I go roller blading because I  tend to fall down a lot and get bruises." It wasn't until I read this sentence that I realized this student was channeling his inner Miss Witte! I tend to say, "I tend to...", all the time! Although this is not terribly profound or amazing, I think it was wonderful when you notice that students are actually listening to what you have been saying! :o)

3. I honestly cannot imagine myself as anything other than a teacher, but there was a point in my life when I would have given anything to be a dancer in CATS on Broadway. I don't admit that to very many people, in fact very few of my friends know that, but there it is bloggy world, my very random fact of the day! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment